Step Up Coalition
What is Step Up?
Step Up is a campaign dedicated to ensuring that foster children placed with relatives receive the benefits, supports and services they need to thrive. Visit stepupforkin.org and join the Step Up Coalition.
How is the Alliance involved?
The Alliance created the Step Up campaign and brought a robust group of advocates together to form the Step Up Coalition. The collective influence of this group coupled with the strong voices of relative caregivers across California helped influence California legislators to better support foster children in relative homes. Find out more about recent changes benefitting children placed with relative caregivers.
The Approved Relative Caregiver Funding Option will allow counties to provide state foster care funding to foster children who currently receive CalWORKs benefits. Find out how the Alliance and our Step Up partners are helping implement this historic change at StepUp.org.
- As South LA families struggle to raise their relatives’ kids, some want equal treatment KPCC, September 10, 2015
- Foster care system shifts to relatives, but doesn’t offer support, KPCC, June 8, 2015
- Should California counties opt in to change foster care?, KPCC, September 9, 2014
- Relatives get paid less to foster children than strangers under California policy, CBS Sacramento, May 20, 2014
- Helping relatives help children, The Los Angeles Times, April 15, 2014
- Relatives who provide foster care deserve state support, The San Francisco Chronicle, April 10, 2014
Alliance News Stories
- CA Makes Historic Investment in Foster Kids Raised by Relatives
- The Launch of a New Campaign and Website