“Our vision is a world in which all children have safe, permanent families with the support they need to thrive.”
The Alliance for Children’s Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected children and youth. By providing free legal services and advocacy, the Alliance ensures children have safe, stable homes, healthcare and the education they need to thrive. For many of our clients, the Alliance is the only connection to a safer, brighter future.
Since 1992, we have served 125,000 children, providing them with permanency through adoption and legal guardianship, access to healthcare and an equitable education. Our efforts are focused in three main areas:
- Free legal services and advocacy for children in poverty and in foster care
- Training and education for those who work with or care for these children
- System-wide reform to change policies to improve children’s lives
We cut through the bureaucracy of the courts, medical offices, school districts and government agencies for children who don’t have parents to advocate on their behalf. Our staff and extensive network of pro bono attorneys advocate directly for individual children, in addition to working for broader policy reform to:
- Expedite adoptions
- Secure medical coverage and therapies for children
- Obtain educational services for children with learning delays and behavioral issues
- Assist youth aging out of foster care to become productive and self-reliant
The Alliance has adopted an overall strategic focus that is termed “the bookends.” The bookends are foster children 0 to 5 years old and youth 14 years old and above that will be aging out of foster care. A third area of focus is on children being raised by relative caregivers. By focusing on these three areas, the Alliance’s program, strategies and initiatives will cascade across the continuum for children and youth regardless of age.
- Children 0 to 5 years old
- Youth 14 years old and above that will be aging out of foster care
- Children being raised by relative caregivers
With every child and youth reached, the objective is to identify and address their needs in a holistic way, providing all the opportunities and advantages available to them.
The Alliance evaluates each program based upon these key criteria:
The Alliance has recently established the following impactful programs and initiatives:
For more information on our achievements, see the Articles/Publications page for links to our print and email newsletters.
The Alliance’s federal tax ID is 954358213.