Special Education Legal Assistant
The Alliance is seeking a legal assistant to support its Education Program, which provides legal advocacy for foster children to protect their early intervention and special education rights. The legal assistant will support program attorneys and must have the ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. This is a very good opportunity for well-qualified candidates.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Support program attorneys by conducting client interviews, maintaining case files, gathering documentation for case advocacy from multiple sources, and communicating with caregivers regarding the status of the case
- Request and compile medical, mental health and education records
- Supervise student interns
- Maintain communication with pro bono attorneys
- Communicating with monolingual Spanish clients, provide Spanish translation for attorneys, and develop bilingual project materials
- Administrative duties including data entry, filing, and drafting letters
- Schedule IEP/IFSP meetings for program attorneys
- Strong interpersonal skills and desire to help people
- Strong organizational skills
- Must be bilingual (Spanish/English)
- College Graduate or Paralegal Certification
- Experience with early education, education, juvenile dependency or delinquency courts is helpful but not mandatory
The Alliance for Children’s Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or marital status.
The above statements are of a general nature and are intended to describe the level of work being performed by people assigned to comparable positions. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For more information on careers at the Alliance, visit our Careers page.
Please email your cover letter and resume to Jill Rowland at the Alliance for Children’s Rights, email@example.com. Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined qualifications of the position.