Policy and System-Wide Reform
The Alliance policy team works alongside our other programs to identify trends and repeat practices in our caseloads that deprive our clients of the services and stability that they need and are entitled to receive, and responds with various activities aimed at system-wide reform, including legislative advocacy, impact litigation, coalition building and outreach. By working toward solutions and improvements that affect entire segments of our client base, we more efficiently and effectively achieve our mission of achieving stability, equity and justice for all young people across the state.
Our policy work is guided by the following principles:
- The issues we take on always arise from our direct services work in California.
- We advocate for policy solutions that address barriers our clients encounter repeatedly as they strive to obtain the basic necessities they need to thrive.
- On all legislative or litigation efforts, we commit to follow-up and implementation work required in order to ensure that our clients actually receive the benefit of any new laws or practices that result from our advocacy.
- Continuum of Care Implementation and Full Funding at Time of Placement (download our position paper)
- Education Equity for Students in Foster Care (download our position paper)
- Safe and Appropriate Housing for All Youth in Extended Foster Care (download our position paper)
- Timely SSI Filing & Appeals Processes to Support Youth with Disabilities (download our position paper)
For policy news and information, sign up for our weekly policy alerts here.
Current Legislative & Policy Priorities
Implementation Guidance & Other Resources:
The Alliance offers these online resources for those who are most affected by recent reforms.