Independent Living

Transitioning from foster care to independence is exciting and daunting. The Alliance for Children’s Rights NextStep program provides referrals to transitional housing, transportation, food and clothing, and other services. Additional resources:

Information about the DCFS Independent Living program.

The Alliance’s KnowB4UGo site for transition-age youth..

Housing for Non-Minor Dependents:

  • Transitional Housing Program Extended Foster Care (THP-FC): This is a new program for non-minor dependents who have opted to remain in foster care after age 18 until age 21 and have an open foster care case. Eligible youth live on their own or with a roommate and take advantage of a full range of support services to gain the skills to support independence.
  • Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP): This is a new housing program for foster youth participating in extended foster care, ages 18-21 with an open case. Eligible youth must pass a readiness assessment and find their own place to live (which can include a college dorm, apartment or room to rent). The apartment, dorm, or rented room must pass an inspection. Once it is approved, the youth may be eligible to receive direct funding.

For more information for youth transitioning to independence, including money management, leasing an apartment, building credit, and more visit