Our vision is a world in which all children have safe, permanent families with the support they need to thrive.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected children and youth. By providing free legal services, advocacy, and programs that create pathways to jobs and education, the Alliance levels the playing field and ensures that children who have experienced foster care are able to fulfill their potential.
Since 1992, we have served 150,000 children. Our efforts are focused in three main areas:
- Free legal services and advocacy for children in foster care
- Training and education for those who work with or care for these children
- System-wide reform to change policies to improve children’s lives
We cut through the bureaucracy of the courts, healthcare system, school districts and government agencies to secure a brighter future for children in need. Our staff and extensive network of pro bono attorneys advocate directly for individual children, and work toward broader policy reform to:
- expedite adoptions.
- secure medical coverage and therapies for children.
- support children faced with the effects of trauma and disability.
- assist young adults aging out of foster care to become productive and self-reliant.
In the past fiscal year year alone:
- Nearly 500 adoptions were finalized for children of all ages.
- 508 children were stabilized in families through legal guardianship.
- 250 children ages 0-5 accessed child care and development services.
- Our attorneys advocated for more than 500 students in foster care.
- 75% of our education clients are now on track for high school graduation.
- 1,357 families received benefits and healthcare for children in foster care.
- We served 112 child victims of sex trafficking.
- We helped 341 youth obtain healthcare, housing, education & jobs.
- We provided workforce training and employment to 528 foster youth.
- Our KnowB4UGo campaign reached over 5,000 youth who are aging out.
Since the inception of the Adoption Program in 1998, nearly 14,000 adoptions have been finalized.
Since 2005, over 7,000 school-age children have received educational services to overcome trauma, instability, disability and developmental delays.
Since 2003, we have stabilized 19,500 children in foster care and guardianship by securing more than $29 million in benefits.
The Alliance performs one-third of all adoptions in Los Angeles County.
The Alliance coordinates 33,000 hours of pro bono legal work each year, totaling more than $12 million in free legal services for our clients.
The Alliance has written and sponsored bills that have changed foster care for the better in California, including AB12, extending foster care to age 21.
For seven consecutive years, the Alliance has received Charity Navigator’s highest four-star rating, a distinction granted to just 3% of charities.
Press & Financials:
For more about the Alliance and our impact, see recent press and publications.
The Alliance’s federal tax ID is 954358213.