Our vision is a world in which all children have safe, permanent families with the support they need to thrive.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected young people. By providing free legal services, advocacy, and programs that create pathways to jobs and education, the Alliance levels the playing field and ensures that children who experience foster care are able to fulfill their potential.
Since 1992, we have served 150,000 children. Our efforts are focused in three main areas:
- Free legal services and advocacy for children in foster care
- Training and education for those who work with or care for these children
- System-wide reform to change policies to improve children’s lives
We cut through the bureaucracy of the courts, healthcare system, school districts and government agencies to secure a brighter future for children in need. Our staff and extensive network of pro bono attorneys advocate directly for individual children, and work toward broader policy solutions to:
- expedite adoptions.
- secure medical coverage and therapies for children.
- support children recovering from trauma and those with disabilities.
- assist young adults aging out of foster care as they grow into independence and self-reliance.
In the past fiscal year year alone:
- We finalized nearly 500 adoptions.
- 508 children were stabilized in families through legal guardianship.
- 250 children ages 0-5 accessed child care and development services.
- Our attorneys advocated for more than 500 students in foster care.
- 1,357 families received benefits and healthcare for children in foster care.
- We served 112 child victims of sex trafficking.
- We helped 341 clients obtain healthcare, housing, education & jobs.
- We provided workforce training and employment to 528 foster youth.
- Our KnowB4UGo campaign reached over 5,000 young adults.
- The Alliance coordinated 33,000 hours of pro bono legal work as we do each year, totaling more than $12 million in free legal services for our clients.
Since the inception of our adoption program nearly twenty years ago, more than 14,000 adoptions have been finalized. The Alliance performs one-third of all adoptions in Los Angeles County.
Since 2005, over 7,000 school-age children have received educational services to overcome trauma, instability, disability and developmental delays.
Over the past 15 years, we secured more than $29 million in benefits for 19,500 young people in foster care or guardianship in Los Angeles.
The Alliance has written and sponsored bills that have changed foster care for the better in California, including AB12, extending foster care to age 21.
For eight consecutive years, the Alliance has received Charity Navigator’s highest four-star rating, a distinction granted to just 2% of charities.
Press & Financials:
The Alliance’s federal tax ID is 954358213.